* Hi kids, remember to get permission from your parents or guardian(s) before using the Discovery Sites, and ensure they read the terms laid out here. This is important so as to ensure that steps are taken to protect you while accessing the Discovery Sites.
Personal information means any information from which you can be identified (such as your name, address or email address). We do not collect personal information on the Discovery Sites unless voluntarily provided to us by visitors to the Discovery Sites.
We may collect and use personal information about you through your use of the Discovery Sites. In general, we will use this information for administration of the Discovery Sites and any services provided on them (such as competitions), to identify personal preferences and to match your needs with relevant products and services. Information provided when you register is used to enable you to access certain parts of the Discovery Sites and to enable you to post messages on any message boards or if applicable, in any chat rooms on the Discovery Sites.
All persons under the age of 13 must obtain the consent of their parents or legal guardians before using the Discovery Sites. We will adhere to this policy in respect of any personal information submitted by minors, but the primary responsibility rests on parents and guardians to properly supervise their children's use of the Discovery Sites.
By using the Discovery Sites you agree to our use of your personal information in accordance with this policy.
What and How Do We Collect Information about you and How Is It Used?
We may collect and use your information in the following ways. In general, when you submit information, we will ask for your explicit consent to use your information in these ways:
1. If you send us information, we may ask you to enter your name, age, date of birth, nationality/country, contact details, e-mail address and/or postal address (“Personal Details”). If the information you send us is to be posted on the Discovery Sites, you can elect not to have your Personal Details displayed alongside your posting.
2. If you enter a contest or promotion we may ask for your name, age, address, and e-mail address. This is so we (or any relevant third party) can administer the contest or promotion and to notify the winners.
3. We will collect information about your tastes and preferences both when you tell us what these are and by analysis of customer traffic, including by using cookies (see below).
4. We may use information collected about you to personalise your visits to the Discovery Sites. We also use the information to help us develop the design and layout of our web-sites to ensure that they are as useful and enjoyable as possible.
5. We may use the information we collect, with your consent, to contact you from time to time to inform you about functionality changes to our web-sites, new services or offers and other information that you may find interesting.
6. You consent that we, or third parties on our behalf, might also use your personal information to conduct market research.
7. In addition, we may provide aggregate statistics about customers, traffic patterns and other site information to third parties, but these statistics will not include any information that could personally identify you.
Additionally we reserve the right to access and disclose personal information to comply with applicable laws and lawful government requests, law enforcement agencies or other parties whose requests we reasonably consider to be justified in connection with any allegations about the mis-use of our services, to operate our systems properly or to protect ourselves or our users.
Will We Disclose the Information We Collect to Third Parties?
We may transfer your personal information to trustworthy third parties located both in and outside your country of residence so that they can also send you information, offers or other material that you may find interesting. We request that such third parties act in accordance with our commitments under this policy. If you consider that a third party has used your personal information contrary to the terms of this policy or you prefer that we do not supply your personal information to these third parties you may instruct us not to do so at any time by sending an e-mail message to WebMaster_AUNZ@discovery.com.
In the event that we sell or otherwise dispose of some or all of our business to another party, we reserve the right to transfer your information as part of any assets sold or disposed of.
How Do We Protect Your Information?
When you review your information, we offer the use of a secure server. The secure server software encrypts the information that you input before it is transmitted to us. In addition, we have security procedures covering the storage and disclosure of your information in order to prevent unauthorised access and to comply with relevant privacy-related legislations. This means that sometimes we may ask for proof of your identity before we disclose personal information to you.
A cookie is a piece of information that is stored on your computer's hard drive by your web browser. On revisiting a Discovery Site our computer server will recognise the cookie, giving us information about your last visit. Most browsers accept cookies automatically, but usually you can alter the settings of your browser to prevent automatic acceptance (see the "Help" toolbar). If you choose not to receive cookies, you may still use most of the features of the Discovery Sites.
How Do I Un-subscribe or Amend my Personal Information?
You can amend or delete from our databases the information that you have given via the Discovery Sites at any time. If you do not wish to receive any particular information, or if you would like to amend the personal information that we hold about you, please send an e-mail WebMaster_AUNZ@discovery.com.
We will try to inform you if there are any changes to this policy that materially affect how we use your information. However, we encourage users to be responsible about their privacy and to check this policy from time to time and to update their preferences.
Chat Rooms, Forums and other Materials Posted by You
You should remember that all information that is disclosed in the chat rooms, forums and/or other public-posting areas on the Discovery Sites becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to share any of your personal information. If you post any sensitive personal information you are expressly consenting to our processing and use of such data in connection with our operation of the relevant Discovery Site.
Customer Feedback and Complaints
We welcome your questions and comments about privacy issues and the design of our web-site. Should you have such comments or have a complaint about how we are using your personal information, please e-mail us at WebMaster_AUNZ@discovery.com.